Monday 22 April 2013

The Simulacra of Cobain the Cactus

Today I decided to do one pomodoro of Second Life building. I decided I would try to build a replica of Cobain the Cactus, a plant on my windowsill which G gave to me because it initially resembled a toy rabbit I had named Kobain. Unfortunately, G forgot that cactuses are not inert objects, so it continued to grow many new cactusey fingers, and now Cobain the Cactus does not look like Kobain the toy rabbit anymore.

This is a photo of Cobain the cactus - in Real Life:

Screen Shot 2013-04-22 at 6.09.36 PM.png

I cropped out the other bits so it was just the cactus. I prepared this as a 512 x 512 image for uploading to Second Life.

Screen Shot 2013-04-22 at 6.14.30 PM.png

Next I found some random 8-sided mesh/sculpted tree and retextured it with my cobain.png texture. You can find many free sculpted trees on SL Marketplace if you don't have one to start with. If I had more time, I could probably have used Blender to bake the plant sculptie/mesh myself and then imported it into SL instead of repurposing some other plant mesh. I'm not building it in order to sell it, so the permissions don't really matter to me at this point. Finally I created a brown pot for the bottom from a tube, added a circular disc textured with soil and linked them all together.

Screen Shot 2013-04-22 at 7.04.31 PM.png

And so by the end of one pomodoro, I had a copy of Cobain the cactus - in Second Life:

Snapshot_030

No comments:

Post a Comment